MX Trax
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KTM year Identification

Hello all,great site here been reading for a few months.

So i picked up a old dog of a KTM 250 for £400, the lad i bought it from says its a 97 model but after viewing a few pics of 96 and 97 models it looks more like a 96 model, i also got a VIN number identification chart from this very site and that makes it out to be a 96 model.

So is there any way to tell for definate what year i have ?

Cheers.

This is how they did it in the 80s, I expect they still do the same:

How to tell the year of a KTM by the 17 digit vin (frame number)
    KTM production for the next model year would start at the earliest in late August (08) but usually in early September (09) just after their summer holiday factory shutdown. So if the frame number at the steering head reads 8208######, 8209#####, 8210#####, 8211#####, 8212#####, 8301##### these would all be 1983 models meaning they were built from August of 1982 to January 1983 (and so on) as 1983 model year KTM's.
    This is true for the mono shockers manufactured from 1982 and up. For stereo shockers (up to 1982) they used an other system: In the early days they stamped only the last digit of the year in to the frame: 9=1979, 0=1980, 1= 1981. The two following digits is the production month: 05=May. So if your frame number starts with 002 ######: It's built in February 1980.

Unfortunatly its not the same.

I used this site...

http://www.ktmcyclehutt.com/checkvin.htm

But it says this at the bottom...

NOTE: This is only a general guide for use in approximate model and year identification. Some information may not be exact. Please be aware of this when ordering any replacement parts.

So im a bit wary, i bought a new spark plug for it, the one that was in it was the wrong one for a 96 or 97 bike so i bought one for a 97 and the cap wouldnt fit but i suppose this could of been changed.

did you try fitting the cap with or without the M4 threaded adaptor on the top of your sparkplug?

did you try fitting the cap with or without the M4 threaded adaptor on the top of your sparkplug?
    Yes, well it was too big so i thought ill take the adaptor off but it didnt seem to have one because the top of the spark plug just unscrewed.

Ok so im presuming now its a 96 bike, the stickers on the forks and other parts are on 96 bikes but not on 97 bikes and the VIN number checker says its a 96.

It hasnt been started for around 8 months, so far ive took most of it apart gave it all a real good clean up with some degreaser, cleaned carb and air filter and rebuilt it with new nuts and bolts.

I mixed some petrol with some standard 2 stroke (not semi synthetic or fully synthetic) at a 40:1 ratio, is this ok oil to use ? or should i use semi or fully synthetic ?

The bike started after about 15 kicks wich suprised me but the clutch wont work properly, its like im not pulling the lever enough but the screw on the lever is at maximum, any ideas ?

What oils should i change ? do these have engine oil and gearbox oil ? If so what kinds do i need ?

Its a 2 stroke ktm 250 SX by the way.

2 stroke oil: something like Silkolene Comp 2 which is a semi-synthetic
    Gear box oil: light gear oil

The clutch. There should be an adjuster in the cable itself as well. It could be a grooved clutch basket hooking up the plates, or worn plates (so thin you can't pull them apart with the movement you have) or just the oil dragging where it's not warm.

Ahh so the 2 stroke that you mix with the petrol is the engine oil ?

The oil cap on the right hand side, gear oil goes in there ?

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for your help so far.

Ahh so the 2 stroke that you mix with the petrol is the engine oil ?
    Well, it's pre-mix oil, there is no engine oil as such in a 2-stroke.

The oil cap on the right hand side, gear oil goes in there ?
    [/quote]Yeah, that's the gearbox filler.

Sorry for the stupid questions and thanks for your help so far.[/quote]No worries.

Ok just ordered 4L of each of the oils you said from www.feamamx.co.uk , local shop has a weak selection.

Thanks again for your help.