MX Trax
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-cardio exercise for weight loss?

Bloody hell mate sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I think any exercise is going to make your core temperature rise really - I suppose swimming is maybe the only option I can think of, except some form of naked speed skating

Diet sounds good too but maybe your calorific intake is too high (i.e. - maybe you're eating too much, your portion sizes too big etc?) Can you post up what you'd typically eat during the day, just to see if there may be anything there.

I'll have a good think but at the mo I'm a bit flummoxed.

Righto, a typical day's food intake tends to be:
    Brekkie - 2 Wholemeal muffins with a bit of butter and marmite, a banana and some melon or pineapple.
    Lunch - Either a BLT granary baguette or a chicken salad, banana and apple. Sometimes have a jacket spud with beans.
    Dinner - Omlette (3 eggs, onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes) or a bit of chicken and salad. Followed by.....(you guessed it) a banana and some melon or pineapple

If I get peckish between meals I'll have more fruit.

I'm 5'10" and am hovering between 13 1/2 to 14 stone And I'm a girl....I don't think I can blame all that excess weight on my boobs

as you know fat is unburnt energy.. all you have to do is burn it. So eat less energy than you use in the day and you will loose fat/ weight.

So either eat less or excersize more. Or a bit of both.

Also don't avoid red meat, or anything like that solong as it isn't covered in fat as protein is good. It is also the key to build muscle and the more muscle you have the faster you burn fat. Do some weight lifting/ resistance training in there if you can i know its not too womanly lol but its good fun imo and helps.

Banned

I would steer clear of reguarl BLTs. Absolutely swimming in calories, I'm afraid.

Don't avoid fruit. Fructose is not like other sugars and you gain much more in vitamins from eating it.

It's really worth keeping a food diary for a week or so. Write down everything you eat, and how many calories are in it. Your BMR will be about 1700 for your height and weight, and you can add on another 300 for a non cardio lifestyle.

It's easier than you think to drop 300 calories a day (but never drop below your BMR, particularly if you have to be careful what exercise you take).

As for exercise, I never advocate anyone try to lose weight through diet alone. If you do, about 25% of the weight you lose will be lean muscle tissue. I would suggest you keep up the swimming and do shorter, heavier weights sessions, such as 5 sets of 5 reps with a minute's rest between sets to let your body temp drop.

I like Trilby's idea of climbing. Like 5x5 weights, you can exercise longer because you can have as long a break as you require, but you'll be building that all important muscle mass

I'd run it past your doc but maybe give climbing a go. It's certainly hard work but aside from the muscles that're getting used, it doesn't seem to make my body sweat and you can take your time climbing up if you think you're getting too hot and a good part of climbing is working out the best route up so it tends be slow and thoughtful anyway. Find a decent indoor climbing wall and you'll be having bags of fun too, it really is great entertainment and cheaper than a gym.

Other than that, swimming as has already been suggested.

Ok, I like the climbing idea. A lot There's an outdoor activity place not too far from me that I'm fairly certain has climbing walls so I'll have a look into it, and check it's ok with my doc first.
    I'll also give the food diary a go. And try to steer clear of the BLTs. Unfortunately it's the only edible sandwich they do in the canteen at work I'll stick to the salads and jacket spuds from now on
    I'm also intrigued about the weights. I own a set of weights but haven't used them for a long time so I'll dig them out and get started with them again.
    I really appreciate the advice It's tough getting something useful from doctors as they all assume that I gave up hope of a normal life when I was diagnosed with MS and just want to sit on my arse all day feeling miserable. I'm quite lucky in that almost 10 years after getting my first symptoms I'm still independantly mobile and plan to make the most of it while I can I do feel that I'm not too good at looking after myself food-wise so getting some help from people who know more about it than me is great. Thanks

And what's with all this "only registered users can post in this forum" crap? It's happened twice now while I've been signed in

this is indeed tricky, hmmm

although yoga and pilates arent great for weight loss on their own- they are a nice compliment to other exercise.
    i find pilates is better - really works the core muscles - tones and lengthens your entire body to.

I agree you cannot loose weight by diet alone - you'll end up losing muscle instead. Dont set yourself a reiduclous goal weight either. start simply buy saying i want to lose half a stone, then move the barrier again. You should loose no more than 1 - 2pounds each week to keep it steady and to minimise putting it back on afterwards

Ok, I like the climbing idea. A lot There's an outdoor activity place not too far from me that I'm fairly certain has climbing walls so I'll have a look into it, and check it's ok with my doc first.
    I'll also give the food diary a go. And try to steer clear of the BLTs. Unfortunately it's the only edible sandwich they do in the canteen at work I'll stick to the salads and jacket spuds from now on
    I'm also intrigued about the weights. I own a set of weights but haven't used them for a long time so I'll dig them out and get started with them again.
    I really appreciate the advice It's tough getting something useful from doctors as they all assume that I gave up hope of a normal life when I was diagnosed with MS and just want to sit on my arse all day feeling miserable. I'm quite lucky in that almost 10 years after getting my first symptoms I'm still independantly mobile and plan to make the most of it while I can I do feel that I'm not too good at looking after myself food-wise so getting some help from people who know more about it than me is great. Thanks

And what's with all this "only registered users can post in this forum" crap? It's happened twice now while I've been signed in
    [edit user="VestanPance" on="30/07/2008 08:35"]
    Where do you live nowdays? There's loads of climbing walls around, although it's important to find a decent one otherwise you may get bored. I don't think you're near West London but if you are, I'm happy to show you the ropes (*cough* poor climbing joke there...) and we have the best location in the country for indoor climbing.

Nowhere near West London I'm afraid, but thanks for the offer I'm in Birmingham, live just SW of the City Centre and work smack bang in the middle. I've found this place which looks pretty good and is walking distance from work for me. Any thoughts from an experienced climber?
    http://www.redpointclimbingcentre.co.uk/

Banned

Back to your diet VP - the wholemeal muffins will be fairly fatty and sugary - can you replace them with muesli + fruit?? Also, any butter on the muffins is whacking up the fat content, so leave it off

As JL said, the BLT is packed with fat, so avoid altogether - make salads, and if they aren't filling you up, bulk them out with some beans (I like black eyed beans - just rinse them from the tin and add to the salad ).

A question about the baked spuds - fine with baked beans, but NO butter and NO cheese

You need to cut as much fat out of your diet as you reasonably can as this is the most concentrated calory source you are eating

Also, I don't know how much alcohol you drink, but if you are drinking wine or beer they are LOADED with calories - replace wherever you can with a spirit and a diet mixer (lareg G&T is very refreshing in this hot weather )

Of course it's important to keep variety in your diet, especially as if you get bored you'll get pissed off with it!

Good luck!!