MX Trax
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KTM suspension setup/tuning

Hi, I'm struggling with getting my '08 KTM 250 SX-F suspension set up properly. I don't have much experience with MX suspension. I've tried a lot of different settings but I'm now thinking I may need to go for softer springs both front and rear and possibly even a re-valve. I weigh 68kgs (without riding gear) and I'm finding both the forks and shock too hard. The front end deflects off small bumps and doesn't track the ground well on bigger bumps. The rear shock kicks on big compressions, a few times bad enough for the seat to hit me in the ass and cause my feet to come off the pegs Can anyone recommend a company that does suspension tuning that I can send my forks and shock to get sorted. Thanks.

Hi, I'm struggling with getting my '08 KTM 250 SX-F suspension set up properly. I don't have much experience with MX suspension. I've tried a lot of different settings but I'm now thinking I may need to go for softer springs both front and rear and possibly even a re-valve. I weigh 68kgs (without riding gear) and I'm finding both the forks and shock too hard. The front end deflects off small bumps and doesn't track the ground well on bigger bumps. The rear shock kicks on big compressions, a few times bad enough for the seat to hit me in the ass and cause my feet to come off the pegs Can anyone recommend a company that does suspension tuning that I can send my forks and shock to get sorted. Thanks.
    i had rg3 do my kawasaki kxf250, and lee done a really good job on it, give lee a call at rg3 london

you should be close for the springs, its the valving thats the main issue.

you should be close for the springs, its the valving thats the main issue.
    I just cannae get a handle on setting up suspension, but will the stock valving be that bad?

yes

The rear shock isn't that bad, just takes a vrey accurate static sag setting and a bit of clicker tuning.

The forks however are harsh from the midstroke. A quick fix for you is to remove the forklegs and drain 20ml of oil from each leg. This will give you a much plusher ride. As they are sprung towards the stiff side for you( a good thing to get plush forks with oil height changes ).

The forks real fix is to change the the compression stack to a softer setting ie changing out all the .15 thick shims to .1 shims to allow more flex and more oil flow.

Without wishing to hijack the thread........

Is that the same for most forks? I have a 07 YZ125 and weigh 87Kgs without gear. The forks are very harsh to the point where by I can hardly hold on down bumpy straights. I have just changed the springs on the forks and shock, altho I haven't tried them yet. Is it likely to feel much plusher?

I hope you went to stiffer springs as this will make them plusher for your weight. If you have went softer do not install and exchange them for a stiffer set. This in turn stops the bike riding down in the stroke where the valving is stiff.

I hope you went to stiffer springs as this will make them plusher for your weight. If you have went softer do not install and exchange them for a stiffer set. This in turn stops the bike riding down in the stroke where the valving is stiff.
    Yeah it was the correct springs for my weight as per the spring calculator on one of the websites. Is the Speed Sensitive System the same, i.e. the lower it rides the stiffer the valving?

not exactly, I think its more 90% speed rather than position. But every fork runs on air/spring for the first 100mm of the stroke then you rely on your forks valving. so if the fork dives through the stroke due to you being to heavy you will lose all plushness on the initial stroke and you will have less forgiving valving when you hit a bump.

Remember and drop your front oil height by 10mm to get the full benefit of your stiffer springs. Then set up your clicker settings for bumps and turning etc. Then if they bottom really hard add 5ml of oil until your happy with bottoming control (should bottom slightly but not uncomfortably).

To many guys use the clickers to control bottoming which is wrong. It does have an effect on bottoming but the clickers are there to control the speed of the stroke. Oil level is for bottoming control or more plushness(less oil).