MX Trax
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mid-70's motocross in the South Midlands

I was just reminiscing about watching motocross in the South Midlands as a child in the late 70's / early 80's. I used to visit events run by Banbury Nobac and Oxford Ixion at tracks such as Fenny Compton, Brill and Hellidon (now a golf course!). Some of the names I recall are Brian Wade, Geoff Mayes, Paul and Steve Harrison, Steve How, Ken Hanson, Jeremy Beck (who I seem to remember was killed at one event).

Just wondering if anyone had any memories of attending or competing in events in the area at around that time ? Does anyone have any photographs, programmes, etc to share ?

I remember a track at Avon Dasset on the side of a hill,the m40 motorway runs right past it now,until a few years ago you could still see signs of the track.First time I went there was 1979 aged 4.That was it-hooked for life!

Yes I remember the track, but I'm not sure I've ever been. It was actually only about two miles down the road from the one at Fenny Compton.

...some cracking tracks named..another one near Banbury we rode with the Coventry Schoolboys was Edge Hill ..nice natural track on the side of an hill

Long Compton is still used for MX and Enduro...rode there twice last season...cracking long uphill start straight

A lot of the old tracks in the area were natural hillside venues. Fenny Compton, Hellidon and Brill all were like this. I seem to remember Fenny Compton in particular was quite spectacular with some nice natural drop-offs.

Hotshot

Brill was really good, only one i've been to i'm afraid (as kid )

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=51.83....9&r=0&src=msl

The track at Avon Dasset was only used for a very short time in the late seventies. I rode there probably every time it was used and that wasn't very many. The main tracks in the area during the seventies and for sometime before that were, Larkstoke (2 tracks there), Meon Hill, Rollswood and Church Lench. These were all natural tracks with not a manmade jump in sight, with the exception of Church Lench which had a jump that was constructed by putting 2 railway sleepers on their side and edge to edge on top of each other and the back filled in with dirt!! This at the time was considered to be the height of course building and a lot of riders didnt like even that jump then because it wasn't natural. These courses never really needed manmade jumps anyway as there was plenty of natural terrain as it was, like the bomb hole at Meon Hill and a short sharpe hill at Rollswood Farm know as 'the landslide'

Live in Droitwich, but at the moment working in UAE

I rode at Church Lench many times - track exactly the same every time - I also remember Fenny Compton, Brailes, Nympsfield, Nailsworth, Camp Miserden, Brookethorpe, Tirley, Longdon - All great Natural tracks.

Yes Lench was exactly the same the only difference was we used to change the direction from anti-clockwise to clockwise from time to time. Caught more than a few out on the first corner when they turned left and everybody else turned right!!!!

...some cracking tracks named..another one near Banbury we rode with the Coventry Schoolboys was Edge Hill ..nice natural track on the side of an hill

Long Compton is still used for MX and Enduro...rode there twice last season...cracking long uphill start straight

I rode Edge Hill in the late 80's. Used to be used for Clay Pidgeon shooting too, so you would get roosted by old broken clays. Good track.