MX Trax
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KTM 300exc v 300xc

Default KTM 300exc v 300xc

What's the difference between the two? Is it just suspension or is the XC based a lot on an MX chassis?
    I've had 2 exc's that were bulletproof and was thinking of trying an XC, but wondered how different they were.

Default Re: KTM 300exc v 300xc

Think the gear box is different with the xc having a close ratio for the low gears and wide ratio for the top. Also I think the suspension is a bit stiffer in the xc compared to the exc.

Think one of these will be my next choice but I'm like yourself, not sure which one.

... A test day will be the best way to find out

The Xc is more of a racer bike if you like to rev if your doing h&hs they are great. If you race more enduros the exc is prob the way to go.

Xc has
    CC forks better for fast woods riding and mx
    Different head more compression (closesr to sx)
    Gear ratios 1st & 2nd gear dif
    No lights ect
    013 Te250 2T Berg race weapon
    09 Fe450 Big toy
    I live in the woods

I might add don't over look the 250Xc the new design head gives them awesome torque my berg 250 2t feels like a 300
    013 Te250 2T Berg race weapon
    09 Fe450 Big toy
    I live in the woods

Novice

300 EXC and XC have identical motor, cylinder head and ignition, only 1st and 2nd gear is very slightly different, the power is the same, 250 is a different story and thats where people get confused

Suspension is more MX focussed on XC with twin chamber fork and stiffer settings.

For Enduro the EXC is a better bet, you have all the road legal requirements. XC is more difficult to register, it is possible in UK but most other European countrys you cannot register it.

Korr do you guys sell bikes aswell, or is it just the team that you run?

Was wondering if you would sell new bikes with suspension and carb settings done at an additional cost?

Reason being is that you obviously have a good setup with your team getting great results!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by H&Hmadness View Post
    Korr do you guys sell bikes aswell, or is it just the team that you run?

Was wondering if you would sell new bikes with suspension and carb settings done at an additional cost?

Reason being is that you obviously have a good setup with your team getting great results!
    Sorry we don't sell new bikes, sometimes we have ex team bikes up for sale, at the moment a 125 EXC and a 250 EXC , both 2011 Factory edition models and mint.

we use WP aftermarket Cone valve fork and Trax shocks, we import and supply these, the suspension make's the biggest difference to the bike, standard stuff can always be improved but nowhere near to the level of the aftermarket stuff which is almost identical internally to full factory kit, ours motors are almost stock with minor adjustments to suit each riders preference.

Thats great, thanks for the info!

Is that the suspension kit I see on your website for about 3K?

Think it would have to be a lottery win for me to spend that on top of a new bike which is 6.5K!

So are your boys riding a mixture of XC and EXC bikes for particular events or are they mainly riding the EXC's?

See Jonny was riding an EXC at the Eddy Extreme event but wasnt sure if he swapped to the XC for H&H style events...

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by H&Hmadness View Post
    Thats great, thanks for the info!

Is that the suspension kit I see on your website for about 3K?

Think it would have to be a lottery win for me to spend that on top of a new bike which is 6.5K!

So are your boys riding a mixture of XC and EXC bikes for particular events or are they mainly riding the EXC's?

See Jonny was riding an EXC at the Eddy Extreme event but wasnt sure if he swapped to the XC for H&H style events...
    We only have EXC for Jonny and use same bike for everything, just small adjustments if we make Extreme or MX, classic case is this years Erzberg, the prologue is 10km approx of flat out fire road, normally dominated by big bore 4 strokes and MX experts who prep their bikes only to win the prologue with no intention of entering the extreme race, you have to use same bike for both prologue and extreme, only i very brave man would enter the extreme on a 4 stroke MX bike, Jonny posted 4th fastest time, just behind Everts and Taddy at his first attempt on the EXC 300, for the extreme race which is the complete opposite and mostly trials we just leaned off jetting, slightly lower gearing and closed the powervalve a little and of course softened suspension with clickers, all small and minor adjustments and the bike coped perfect with both situations, showing how versatile it is.

i think soon one of the magazines is soon going to do a feature about how and why we set our bikes up, so you then can learn some of our tricks.

That would be brilliant if you could do an article giving more information.

I'm in the same dilema as the guy who's created this topic, but with your comments I will stick to the EXC. I currently ride an EXC 250 and it's been awesome! After riding a few 300's though I can see I am missing out on a real special bit of kit.

The only thing that was steering me more towards the XC was that I do a lot of motocross tracks these days. Will just have to speak to someone on how to adjust the sus between and enduro and mx...

I think I will have to ride better and get sponsored so I can have someone like you set it up for me!!