MX Trax

Thread: Newbie (Veteran) to track riding - any advice...?

New

Default Newbie (Veteran) to track riding - any advice...?

Hi all.....I'm a veteran motocross rider (after a 25 year break i am going to start riding practice tracks again) and
    I have a modern bike (2015 CRF250r) which i have not yet ridden at a track.
    Living only 20 minutes from Apex Motocross near Worcester i am contemplating attending for a session.

Given that I have a new bike with no experience on it, and i'm new to the modern game,
    is it a bad idea to go to Apex, unless I have ridden other practice tracks first?
    My only experience of late has been on enduro bikes.

It looks like a great setup at Apex, but i wonder if i would be a hindrance to other track users....ie going too slow, not knowing the track layout, etc.

The alternative is the Thornbury MX tracks which also look great.

Cheers

Dave

Default Re: Newbie (Veteran) to track riding - any advice...?

Hi Dave,if you live that close why not have a chat with the people that run the circuit,i.e.newcomers practice or keeping to the left till you get more confident. We all had to start somewhere. A experienced rider will spot a newbie 3 turns ahead and ride accordingly. You may get a couple of 'doorhandles ' coming a bit close but just hold your line (and your nerve) and do your own thing. Roll the jumps first untill a bit more confident......walk or look at the track before you ride....chat with other riders....we're still a big family really. Enjoy.

New

Thanks Kiwii, i decided to go down to the Thornbury MX meeting at the weekend as my first track day.

It was pretty challenging so i am quietly glad i didn't go up to Apex first.

The Thornbury MX tracks are more than enough for me, for now, until i get more experience and bike time.

Cheers

id personally say, just get on the bike, and get some seat time..
    Its practice days, you dont need to go crazy, or have it pinned down the straights..
    Just ride at your own pace, where you feel safe, and get used to the bike buddy..

That basically how i did it.. My first ever time on a track, was a sand track, on a power animal CRF 450!!!
    Threw myself in at the deep end a little. But it got me a feel of what its like... And wierdly, i only like sand tracks now..
    Give me sand over mud, anyday
    You only live once. So grip it and rip it

Hi Dave we ride both Apex and the thornbury tracks - all very well set up with first aid cover etc. if it was me id rather go to apex on a wed or friday (i think thats when they open mid week) a lot quieter mid week (always working so havent been but mates have) sessioins on sat and sund can be very dautning with upto 50 riders in each group (same at thornbury) a bit further to go but up by the NEC you have Olympia MX - track is OK the owner Reg, will verbally abuse you if you ride in the car park - but isnt as busy - open sessions so you can come on/off as you feel might let you get the feel of the bike before attempting Apex with its big jumps? (Have you seen Minchinhampton our fav of all the Thornbury tracks just looking at your post about thornbury being OK for now? OK westonbirt is a bit of a 'flater track' but still have to decent to go fast there

New

Hi 2strokepoke, yes it was Minchinhampton i attended, it was extremely muddy but great fun.

As you said there was about 50 riders in my group, but i did not know if that was busy as i hadn't been before.

Pain of it all is they keep cancelling the track days due to rain, so i end up not riding for weeks at a time.
    (There is nowhere else to take my bike other than Apex and Thornbury MX trracks, unless i want to travel down to Tormarton MX or Cheddar Track)

I think Apex is my next stop, midweek.

Looking forward to getting on the other Thornbury MX tracks too, when they are selected for use.

Hi Taggart Minchi was cancelled by Lawson on Saturday according to his facebook page matey - are you sure you rode there on sunday?

Olympia is better in the winter (gets way too dusty in the summer) but as log as its not lashed down for days it rides well Apex also closed on saturday due to the wet stuff but did open sunday

New

It was Nov 27th i rode last at Minch.
    I missed Westonbirt on the 3rd and Minch cancelled again on the 11th
    Fingers crossed for this weekend.

Arrh that explains it matey. We were at minchi that day was hard work but good fun