MX Trax

Thread: Just bought my first bike..

Default Just bought my first bike..

Ok so here's the thing.. I'm 22 and just bought my first bike after years of wanting to do it but never having the money. I've never been on a motorbike before but I guess everyone starts somewhere right ? I was just wondering what the best way to learn to ride is if that even exists ? I know where the clutch,front brake and everything else is and the method for doing it all but the balance feels weird especially trying to set off because of how snappy the throttle is. That and are there any good open places around possibly the north of england to try and learn/practice ? Thanks guys !

Default Re: Just bought my first bike..

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeuberman View Post
    Ok so here's the thing.. I'm 22 and just bought my first bike after years of wanting to do it but never having the money. I've never been on a motorbike before but I guess everyone starts somewhere right ? I was just wondering what the best way to learn to ride is if that even exists ? I know where the clutch,front brake and everything else is and the method for doing it all but the balance feels weird especially trying to set off because of how snappy the throttle is. That and are there any good open places around possibly the north of england to try and learn/practice ? Thanks guys !
    In all honesty mate. The best way to practice and learn, Is on the track...
    Thats the only way your going to get a good feel for track riding..
    Field riding and track riding are worlds apart...

Honestly, i jumped into the deep end, Which wasnt the best thing to do at all..
    450cc bike on a real deep sand track... Was frustratingly impossible for me..
    So quickly sold that bike and got myself a 125cc... and i absolutely love them... Bucket loads of power, while being nice and light...
    I honestly dont think i will ever need/want anything bigger... I frigging love how light and nimble my bike is...

Id perhaps suggest getting yourself signed in at an easy track, or even perhaps a small "learning" track, if your really that un-confident right now...

Out of curiosity, which bike did you get?

May sound wierd, I had a Kawasaki KX 125, and now got a Honda CR 125, and in my personal opinion, i found my Kawasaki to be alot nicer to ride, in terms of learning... Its hard for me to explain, it just felt more forgiving...
    Where as i love my Honda CR, its the bike i always wanted.. But i personally dont feel that its as "nice" to ride as my kawasaki was, even after numerous fine adjustments to my suspensions

If its a 2 stroke that you have got... Yeah the clutch feels very snappy, compared to any 4 stroke ive ridden..
    I find that its more Bitey, where as 4 strokes are smooth, at pulling away...
    But you get used to it...

iif you have just purchased your first bike, Id highly suggest getting your suspension setup for your weight...
    To me, it felt like Night and day difference on the track.

for rear suspension... set your rider sag according to the manual.. My CR is set with 105mm of sag.... (measure the bike ride height from axel to a specific part of the rear fender, then sit on it, with all gear on... you may need someone else to help hold the bike up etc.. and measure how far the rear drops... Thats the measurement thats in your manual.... Which differs from brands of bike...
    As well as damper/compression settings set to manual specs...

For front suspension.... I started off with setting all my front shocks set to manual specs.. (there are clickers on top and bottom of the fork legs)
    Find what the top and bottom specs are... and set them accordingly....
    That way, you have a "stock" setup bike, and can fine tune from there...

having correctly setup suspension will give your bike perfect weight bias across the bike..
    Before i set my suspension up, it was very stiff for my weight, and found that my front wheel loved digging into berms and chucking me forward...

Also, if it hasnt already, id bring the fork tubes up a couple of mm in the triple clamps (so they stick up out the top a few mm)... This helps with corner... Helps keep the front wheel in a rut better....

Simple tips, but helped me a shed load...
    You only live once. So grip it and rip it

Rear suspension Rider sag setup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfByS5YMAeQ

Front suspension setup (to stock setup the forks)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1yExVen2_Q

(video includes rear & front setup)
    You only live once. So grip it and rip it

Its a 2009 Ktm sxf 250. Will definitely get all that looked at ! know of any decent tracks around Derbyshire or the north of England ?