MX Trax
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Still no spark on copy inner rotor (new one this time)

Hi guys,

Well, im having a major nightmare trying to get a god damn spark from my bike. I have just put on a BRAND NEW inner rotor kit on it, as i suspected my last one wasnt getting any resistance from the coils. Anyway, put it on today, and still no spark!

Changed the plug, the rotor coils, and the HT coil ALL for new or working items, yet still no spark??? WTF???

Good earth on the frame, tried it with and without Kill switch.

Has anyone even the slightest idea what the resistance/voltage values i should be getting from each point (ie: rotor coil to cdi, cdi to HT coil)????

from the coil to the cdi i get only 1.5-2v, is this right? Its seems quite low.

absolute torture these inner rotors, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried just a normal stator plate?
    think you should be getting more volts than that but not certain

nah not yet. i have another in a 140 engine that i know works, but it kinda defeats the point of my wanting to install an inner rotor on this engine. Ive used one previously with no troubles on this same engine, but now ive got another brand new rotor kit, and the voltage coming from it is making me believe its faulty.

So, the burning question is: What voltage should i be seeing from the coil itself? Also, what resistance values am i looking for?

Yes 1.5-2.0 volts is normal, Just checked on a customers bike
    1.4-1.6 depending how fast engine is Kicked (turned) over
    Same from the CDI to the coil (i took plug out to watch spark and loose compression- for easy fast engine turn over)

Check for an average of 1.5 volts at the ignition coil (multimeter in line from positive CDI wire to positive ign.coil connection)

If your not getting this i'd say you have a wiring loom fault (as you say you have replaced the rota coil, CDI, ign-coil.

Have you (Diode/beep) tested the individual wires for an open circuit while giving them a good twist/shake etc?

I've had a good few now with wiring breaking down, corrosion of the copper core and snapped (open circuit) core with the insulation in tact hiding the break..
    (cheap wire ) it degrades real quick...

Voltage seems correct,......check for a wiring loom fault.

make sure you have the bit on the left the right way round i had it upside down as it looked the same either way

make sure you have the bit on the left the right way round i had it upside down as it looked the same either way
    Good point ^ the positive wire should exit the coil from the top/back (facing upwards) if i recall correctly....

I had a simular thing one weekend
    Bike didnt start, checked for spark changed ht lead.
    Then checked spark none ...put it back in and kicked it over off it went
    I think the spark is very weak looking until its going(if that makes sense)
    Hence why i posted a thread about i-cats a few months ago...But its gave me no problems since.
    Personally i dont like the rota's now but am waiting till it breaks to put a lightened flywheel back in.

thanks for the replies guys, but still no spark.

Ive tried all you say SDF, i get 1.5-2v from the coil itself, and not even a volt comes from the CDI. At one point i got 6 volts every stroke coming from the CDI, then hardly nothing???? is 5-6 volts correct operating voltage from the two CDI wires that connect to the HT coil?

I have no 'wiring loom' as such. Just the wires from the coils which go into the cdi, and the wires coming out of the cdi which connect to the HT coil. The wires are good, ive checked VERY thoroughly. Also, ive had the coils in every position known to man, still (you guessed it) NO SPARK!

total fapping nightmare. I spent nearly a grand this week on just getting us out biking!!!! now my own trusty steed stabs me in the back when i need it most!! Pfffft.!!"!!

I will spit my dummy right out with this thing and crush it into teeny tiny chinese pieces should it contiune to vex me......

I have realised the spark is weak in the past, but it always was viewable to my naked eye (oo err). I have a buggered lifan 140 i'm going to rape for pieces tomorrow to get me out riding, as all i have done is fix other peoples bikes, with all of them working except mine!

Its one of those moments where you feel like mashing little babies skulls to a gooey pulp every time i hear the noise of a bike crank over without a spark plug in it!!!!

have you tried unpluging the kill switch to see if there is a fault with that?